Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Research of the strange language

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Kituki

Kituki

Research of the strange language Empty
PostSubject: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Nelonik sat near the temple deep in thought mumbling to her self. She wanted to know what the language was that Derris was speaking. She'd never heard anything like it in her life. "Dang it Derris What the heck.....what was that language." She said outloud with out realizing it. It was bugging her. She knew it shouldn't but with those two drow walking around, she wanted to be sure. "It could have been some ancient language, most likely answer, but where would one learn it....it couldn't be some obscure language. No one would want to learn it. There must be some place to research it.....but with out a name I'm shooting in the dark....."
Back to top Go down
AdminKohr
Admin
AdminKohr

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 pm

Moving up towards Xelveth's Temple to commit to his daily prayer with Monience trailing behind him, Val'Thaeiv's murky grey eyes locked on the sitting form of Nelonik. A slight frown etched itself across his features; he had been there when that man had beaten back Derris like he was a fly, had been there when Xelveth had made his presence known, and when the young warrior had beheaded him. He had never liked Derris, but to die in such a way...He would say it unfair, but i had been his God's judgement, and so he left it alone.

On his way past the girl, too deep in thought to have noticed the pair, he heard her mumbled something about a language, and he could only assume she was referring to the one that the twins spoke, and that even Derris knew a small amount of. He himself knew of it, but that was only because of the ritual he had been involved in. He had no idea how to speak, or understand it.
Back to top Go down
https://anin-toril.rpg-board.net
Kituki

Kituki

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Monience looked to Nelonik upon hearing Derris speaking a strange language. "What strange language Nelonik?" Monience asked.

Nelonik growled upon hearing Monience but let it slide. "Derris was around here the other day and encountered two Drow speaking a strange language. Normally I wouldn't worry about it but the fact that Derris knew it draws reason for concern. Thanks to a help from certain god who's temple this belongs to, Derris is dead. But that language still bugs me."

Monience sighed a breath of relief knowing Derris was dead. "Well, do you know the name of it? maybe theres a place to research it."

Nelonik glared at Monience. "If I had any clue as to what it might be I wouldn't be wondering." She sighed. "And unfortunatly even if I were to ask, I wouldn't know who."

Monience smiled and looked to Val'Thaeiv. "Maybe you know something Val? It would help Nelonik in her search." Nelonik's pride stung abit at asking the man for help, but refused to let it show. Pride or not, she had to find out.
Back to top Go down
AdminKohr
Admin
AdminKohr

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Pausing as Monience asked if he knew anything about the language that Nelonik was referring to, he considered the question for a moment. It was useful enough that he wouldn't deem it not worth responding to, but there was something about why exactly the warrior was looking to research it that put him on edge.

"You would be referring to the twins, and the laguage they speak. It is incredibly ancient, and almost completely lost, if not for the fact that Derris and those two know how to speak it. If I remember correctly, it's original name is Under Dark, and it was used by the Drow centuries ago, before we resorted to using Common. Now, there is close to nothing of it left." he explained quietly, not mentioning where Derris had found his information while in the Academy. He only knew half of the whole story, and didn't think that Nelonik should be messing with something she didn't understand. Under Dark was a very powerful language; it was what had been used to inscribe the symbols on his body during the ritual how many years ago. Finished speaking to the warrior, he moved inside the temple and fell into silence as he prayed to his God.
Back to top Go down
Kituki

Kituki

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 8:33 pm

Nelonik concidered what the drow said. "Thank you Monience." She mumbled before Monience smiled and ran up to the temple to pray beside Val'thaeiv.

'Under Dark huh?' Nelonik thought. 'Even if theres close to nothing left, there still might be information on where it is found. or atleast why we use common." Getting up from her spot she made her way towards the library to do some research into Drow history. 'Why did Derris take the time to learn.... So many questions.... Maybe someone there can point me towards the parts of history I need to do the research. So many whys and no answers. If I have any more questions, I just need to track that drow down.'
Back to top Go down
AdminKohr
Admin
AdminKohr

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Sighing as she wandered around the Academy's library, Seidra let her index finger lightly drag over the dusty spines of the many books. She enjoyed the quiet, and the musty smell that emitted from the room, so she tried to spend as much time here as she could, until her Grandmother expected her home.

Her hand paused on a book, reminiscing of the story and facts contained within. She must've read almost every book contained within the quiet walls...Shaking her head to bring her out of her reverie, the Aranetil apprentice continued her walk through the rows of shelves wondering if anyone would be coming by that day.
Back to top Go down
Kituki

Kituki

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 9:38 pm

Nelonik wandered into the library looking around and immediatly headed to the history section. "It's gotta be here somewhere...." She said thinking she was alone in the library as she scanned the books on the shelf. Pulling a book off the shelf, she quickly scanned the pages and found only one paragraph on the history of under dark and learned nothing new from the book, so she put it back and continued scanning books repeating the words 'Under Dark' as she did over and over.

"No not here either....Where did it originate, why did we stop speaking it....surely one of these books has more info than that it's an ancient language we no longer use....."
Back to top Go down
AdminKohr
Admin
AdminKohr

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Seidra blinked as she hear someone else enter the library and begin muttering to themselves. It was quiet, obviously, so she couldn't make out the words, but they sounded frustrated, so she began tentatively making her way over, to see if she could offer help, trying to consider herself an assistant librarian, of sorts.

Peering around the corner of a row of shelves, she spotted the young Drow and hesitantly made her way forward. "Um....excuse me....are you in need of some assistance...finding a book that you need?" She asked quietly, hoping she wouldn't startle the girl in the process of making her presence know. Being a rogue, she wasn't exactly known for being loud.
Back to top Go down
Kituki

Kituki

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Nelonik looked up at the Aranetil she saw from the time in the marketplace. 'Perfect. Finally more help.' She thought. Putting her current book away she turned towards the girl. "I'm looking for information on the Under Dark language. So far the information I've found is scarce in the books with only a few mentions that we once used it in a time long past." She explained. "I'm trying to find out why we've stopped using it, and why Derris knew it."

Nelonik figured the best way to get information from the girl is to be non-hostile. Concidering the event at the market the girl would probably react harsly to her actions.
Back to top Go down
AdminKohr
Admin
AdminKohr

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Falling into silence as she thought on the subject for a moment, the Rogue thought she vaguely recalled seeing something that she thought had something to do with Under Dark. Turning around, she gestured silently for the Drow, whom she kind of recognized from somewhere, to follow her.

After retrieving the keys to the back room from the Head Librarian and opening the door, Seidra rummaged around amoung the scrolls, tomes and books that were locked up for safe keeping. Extracting a very old, and somewhat weathered and decaying book from the inside of a locked, dusty old chest, she turned back around, holding it lightly.

"I believe this has something in it on the origins of Under Dark, but most of it is written completely in UD, so only the first four pages were translated; enough to know where it came from. If you found someone to translate the rest of it, it would probably tell you about why it was used and why it's stopped being used. There is one book, somewhere, that translates words from Under Dark, to common, but it's not here, and I'm not sure where it may've gone to." she explained quietly, before holding out the book to the other, trusting that she would be gentle with the scripture, and the brittle pages.
Back to top Go down
Kituki

Kituki

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Nelonik took the book handling it carefully. "Thank you." She simply said scanning the first four pages quickly to grasp the concept briefly. "This is it, thank you. Maybe Val'Theaiv would know someone who could transcribe....Maybe someone Derris knew...." She started rambling as she read through the pages. It's obvious it was hidden back here for a reason. "This isn't something many people can get their hands on is it. Do you know why other than it's old?...." Nelonik paused her sentence thinking for a moment looking at the taller girl. "I'm sorry you know my name but you never gave me yours. I haven't seen you since our encounter in the marketplace when it was closing down for the night."
Back to top Go down
AdminKohr
Admin
AdminKohr

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Something clicked in Seidra's brain. Ah yes, that's where she's from. Nelonik... Smiling amiably at the other girl, Seidra introduced herself, saying how it was nice to meet the girl again, before answering the other's question. "It's the only one of it's kind, as far as I know. It's been with us since we were imprisoned down here, before that even, since Under Dark hasn't been used since then...I think. I'm not sure. After all, I'm not a Drow." she replied with a small smile, before leading them out of the backroom and locking it behind them. "I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, and I hope you find what you're looking for. I need to be getting home now." she added, giving an awkward wave to the Warrior before making her way out of the Library and back to her Grandmother's house.
Back to top Go down
Kituki

Kituki

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Nelonik waved to the girl leaving the library. 'Maybe....he could still be there.....' Nelonik carefully carried the book back to Xelveth's temple hoping to find Val'thaeiv. She didn't know why she was relying on him, but if anyone could help her it was him. And she knew it. Monience was probably hanging around him, but if it weren't for her, she'd still be lost in thought trying to figure out what even the name of the language was. Breaking into a sprint she made sure she was careful the book didn't desintegrate in her hands.
Back to top Go down
AdminKohr
Admin
AdminKohr

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:10 pm

Leaving the temple, with Monience behind him once again, Val'Thaeiv made his way down the stone path that led up to the temple, half-listening to Monience's ramble of something or another. Eyes tracing the roadway, they caught on a figure racing up it, discerning that it was Nelonik again as she neared and slowed to a stop in front of him, panting from the climb. Staring blankly down at her, he waited for her to speak, wondering what she wanted this time.
Back to top Go down
Kituki

Kituki

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 11:16 pm

Nelonik caught her breath and showed Val'Theaiv the book. "I was wondering if you knew anyone who could translate this book? A girl at the library told me it could tell me the Under Dark's origins and why it's no longer used, traded for common but majority of the book itself is in Under Dark itself." she explained holding the book carefully.
Back to top Go down
AdminKohr
Admin
AdminKohr

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 7:55 pm

Val'Thaeiv considered the girl's question for a long moment, murky eyes tracing the surface of the aged book. The only one he knew of who could speak Under Dark were those twins, and the Wizards that had implanted the moon's energy in him, but they had had to use a specific book in order to know which words to use. They would only have a bit more of an idea than him.

"I do not. The two brothers do not speak Common, and they are the only two I know of that can speak Under Dark fluently. The magic-users who implanted the moon's magic in my body used it, but they read from a book that directly translated words from Common to Under Dark, and I do not know where it is. You will have to ask one of them." he stated calmly.
Back to top Go down
Kituki

Kituki

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Nelonik sighed. "Do you know where I could find those magic users? If nothing else, I'd like to know why Derris knew it. If he deemed it important enough to learn there might be a powerful reason. Even if I don't learn the language itself, knowing the reasons could be helpful." She didn't know why she was explaining this to the drow but she felt out of all people he could send her in the right direction. Though at the same time, if he felt it was a bad idea then he could just send her no where. One thing was for sure, she felt there was a hidden secret somewhere in the language that Derris found, and if she could find it, she might understand Derris's reasoning alittle more, how he got strong so fast. All the secrets hidden in one little book.
Back to top Go down
AdminKohr
Admin
AdminKohr

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 9:29 pm

"I have not seen them in quite some time, not since these symbols were branded into me. One I believe is teaching at the Academy, a Wizard trainer, if I am correct. They will not be able to help you, as I have already stated. Derris knew the language because he was so obsessive about his studies, that he memorized every book in the Academt Library. The book of translation must have been there, but if that girl could not find it, then it no longer is." he stated calmly, before nodding a curt goodbye to the girl and moving around her. There was nothing more that he could say or do to help, and if she really needed other assistance, he had a feeling that she would just come back.
Back to top Go down
Kituki

Kituki

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Nelonik sighed. "Back to the Academy again it is." she stated before taking off back towards the Academy. "Theres only one way to do this, talk to all the Wizard trainers till I find one. If anything they could lead me to the book translation. If not then I'll bring the book to the twins, surely they can read it." She said weighing her options. Once she got to the Academy she started asking any Wizard trainers she could find if they knew about the Under Dark Language and if they had used it.

Monience kept up with Val'Thaeiv walking beside him in thought. "Hey Val? What would happen to Nelonik if she did find a way to speak the language? There must be some reason we use common speak now." She asked him wondering Val'Thaeiv's take on his encounter with it.
Back to top Go down
AdminKohr
Admin
AdminKohr

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Casting his eyes over to Monience, finding himself more willing to answer her questions when they were not completely useless to her. "It would be very hard for her to learn it at all, and nearly impossible to become fluent in it. Under Dark is a very complex and ancient language. I am not sure what would happen is she found a way to speak it, but I imagine that it won't be anything horrible. We use common now, because it allows up to communicate with other races easier, as opposed to them learning Under Dark, which would be hard enough. I also have heard that there is some sort of attachment to God that the language formed, though it was not only their people that spoke it. Any Drow could speak Under Dark, whether they were faithful or not. In the end, it was just easier for us to speak Common, until we lost our old tongue altogether." he explained, turning once they reached the bottom of the ramp to head out to Camp Ophisen.

~~

Turning a corner with a perplexed look on his face, the elderly Wizard teacher spotted a young Drow running about the hallways and figured she was who he was looking for, and vice versa.

"Excuse me, young miss. Are you the one who has been looking for a Wizard teacher that knows of Under Dark?" he asked when she appeared in the corridor again.
Back to top Go down
Kituki

Kituki

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Monience nodded accepting the answer. "Is there a reason Nelonik shouldn't know what you have told me?"

Nelonik looked over seeing the elderly old man. "Ah, yes! I heard you knew something of it from a man called Val'Theaiv. I was wondering if you could help me decipher this book? Or atleast help me learn the history of Under Dark?" She asked.
Back to top Go down
AdminKohr
Admin
AdminKohr

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Val'Thaeiv shook his head at the young warrior's question. There was no reason for Nelonik not to know what he had just told Monience, but he feared that she may come across an old God name, one that their race used to worship, but turned from. If Her name was found, it would more than likely mean trouble for them. Luckily, the name was concealed in Under Dark, something that Nelonik would not be able to read....not just yet, at the very least.

~~

Listening to the girl's questions, the old man sadly shook his head. "I'm sorry, young lady, but I don't any Under Dark myself, other than 'hello', and a few other common words. I would be of no use to you to translate the book. As to the history of Under Dark..." he trailed off, tapping his weathered chin for a moment. "I can tell you it was created before the War of the Final Sun, back when the Drow were a young, newly discovered race...back when we worshipped an old Goddess, one who's name has been long forgotten, and with good reason. She was never a pleasent ruler, as far as the old legends go, but I know little more than that, and it would be of no use to you." he replied, before bowing to Nelonik and wandering back into the Academy.
Back to top Go down
Kituki

Kituki

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 10:05 pm

Nelonik sighed. "Thank you." She watched the old wizard head back into the academy, before turning around herself looking at the book in her hands as she walked off. "A goddess, If Derris did find it...theres no way. He could have." She said to her self before finding a wall to lean against and think. "I don't know. The last option are those twins, but theres a language barrier obviously." Sighing she slid down the wall. "I guess thats the reason. I found the secret." She laughed in spite of her self. "Here I am with the biggest secret of Drow in my hands, and I can't even read it. Not only that it could be a threat." She wanted nothing more than to crush the book in her hands right then and there. But that would solve no problem. Infact even just knowing it's existence could help in a number of ways. She then got to thinking. 'It'd be a good back up plan...' She started thinking her idea through, though not knowing the whole story she decided to devote herself to the research in her hands. Getting up she decided to put the book in a safe place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Research of the strange language   Research of the strange language Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Research of the strange language
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Nagreon :: Xelveth's Temple-
Jump to: